A new update to Instagram includes a feature which allows users to post slideshows for the first time in the image sharing app’s history, with slideshows including up to 10 pictures or videos in a single post.
Slideshow posts appear just like regular pictures on Instagram with one minor difference: a row of dots appears underneath a slideshow post indicating additional pictures, with each dot referencing a single picture (i.e. five dots for five pictures).
Users can swipe left and right to view slideshow pictures, and any comments or likes added to individual pictures in a slideshow are added to the whole post.
The update is very similar in format to Facebook’s albums, and it enables Instagram users to post a series of pictures without unnecessarily notifying followers of every picture posted.
Instagram recently updated its service with another multiple-picture posting feature, Instagram Stories, but content published through this feature disappears after 24 hours in a manner quite like rival Snapchat’s format.
To post a multiple-picture slideshow, take the following steps:
- Make sure you’ve downloaded the latest Instagram update, version 10.9 for iOS and Android
- Hit the Plus sign in the Instagram home menu as you would normally when posting a picture
- Click on the Select Multiple button found beside the Boomerang and Layout icons
- From there, select up to 10 pictures or videos from either your Instagram album or the camera roll of you smartphone
- Once you’ve chosen the content you want to include in the slideshow, click Next in the top right corner to go to the editing screen
- Select filters, edit the content and rearrange the order of the content by holding and dragging the individual pictures or videos
- Click Next to publish your slideshow