Turkish GozlemeMakes 6
3 cups (525g) bakers flour, sifted2 teaspoons salt2 tablespoons olive oil2 tablespoons natural yogurt1 cups (375ml) lukewarm waterExtra bakers flour, for kneading
Silverbeet and cheese filling1 tablespoon olive oil1 large brown onion, finely chopped3 cloves garlic, choppedSalt and pepper150g feta cheese, crumbled100g tasty cheese, grated1 small bunch silverbeet, shredded
Meat filling1 tablespoon olive oil500g lamb mince2 teaspoons cumin powder1 teaspoon sweet paprikaCup (185ml) tomato passataOlive oil cooking sprayLemon wedges, to serve
METHOD1. Spinach filling: Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened; set aside to cool. Once cool combine with cheeses and salt and pepper. Rinse and dry spinach well and set aside.
2. Meat filling: Heat oil in a medium frying pan. Cook lamb in batches until browned. Return all lamb to pan and add spices and passata. Cook for 10–15 minutes or until mixture is thick. Allow to cool.
3. To make dough: Assemble the Scraper Mixer Pro using the dough hook Add flour and salt in mixer bowl. Turn mixer to Knead /Fold setting and add oil, yogurt and water. Mix for 6 minutes. Mixture is quite sticky so don’t be tempted to add more flour.
4. Turn mixture out onto a well floured surface and lightly knead to combine. Divide dough into 6 equal portions and knead into small balls. Place balls onto a tray lined with a baking paper and dusted with a little flour; cover and rest for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat a large non-stick frying pan or flat plate on a BBQ on a medium heat. On a large piece of baking paper; roll one piece of dough to a 3mm thick rectangle.
6. For vegetable gozleme: place 1 cup shredded silverbeet onto one half of the dough. Top with one sixth of the cheese mixture.
7. For meat and vegetable gozleme; use 1 cup meat filling, 1 cup silverbeet and one sixth of the cheese mixture.
8. Lift dough over filling to enclose and pinch to seal the edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling and place onto separate sheets of baking paper.
9. Cooking one at a time. Spray the top with cooking spray oil and flip upside down onto another sheet of baking paper. Place gozleme and baking paper onto cooking surface and cook for 3–4 minutes or until golden. Spray top with oil and carefully flip over to cook other side.
10. Cut into wedges and serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe provided by Sage Appliances
In Short: This traditional Turkish dish wraps hand-rolled pastry around a variety of delicious fillings – our version includes lamb!