It’s the time of the year when good hearty food is exactly what you want. So look no further than this simple but delicious recipe.
Neff’s recipe for Beef & Guinness Casserole
3 tbsp light olive oil
1 kg stewing beef trimmed of fat and cut into 2cm cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 streaky rashers, finely sliced
1 tbsp flour
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
250ml Guinness or stout
250ml beef stock
1 large tbsp tomato puree
1 bay leaf
300g chestnut mushrooms, wiped and sliced
Salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 150°C Bottom Heat.
1. Heat one tablespoon of oil over a high heat in an oven-proof casserole. Brown the beef on all sides in batches. Remove to a plate and set aside.
2. Add another tablespoon of oil to the casserole and cook the onion and streaky rasher over a medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook for another minute.
3. Sprinkle in the thyme, then pour in the Guinness and beef stock. Add the tomato puree and bay leaf and stir well.
4. Put the beef back in the pot and bring to the boil. Cover the casserole with a lid. Transfer to the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
5. While the beef is cooking prepare the mushrooms. Heat the last tablespoon of oil in a medium frying pan over a high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes or till soft. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the mushrooms to the casserole then place back in the oven and cook for another 45 minutes. Check that the beef is tender, if it’s still tough cook for another 20 minutes or until the beef is done.
7. Season well with salt and pepper and serve with mashed potato.