A roast is the perfect dish for a family get together, providing plenty of food and the opportunity to prepare veggies, potatoes and more in the oven at the same time.
It doesn’t hurt that it’s also a truly tasty dish which gives everyone an excuse to sit down, chill out and catch up. Here’s one of our favourite recipes.
Bosch’s recipe for Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken
Small bunch thyme
2 cloves garlic
Small bunch parsley
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C Hot Air.
- Remove the rough stalks from the thyme. Place the garlic, thyme leaves, parsley, lemon juice and butter in the mini chopper bowl of the Bosch hand blender. Season with salt and pepper. Process till the garlic and herbs are chopped finely. Don’t overdo it or the butter will go green.
- Use your hand to separate the skin from the breast. Do this gently so as not to break the skin. Push the garlic and herb butter underneath the skin and spread over the breast. Rearrange the skin over the chicken and tuck any overlap underneath the bird.
- Place in a roasting dish and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 170°C. Cook for another hour basting with the juices once or twice during cooking. To check if the chicken in done, take a skewer or small sharp knife and insert it where the thigh and leg meet. Any juices that appear should have no trace of red and run clear. If the chicken is not cooked place back in the oven for another 10 minutes or till done.
- Remove from the oven. Place on a plate and cover