It’s that time of the year when the temperature is starting to plunge and a cold salad just isn’t as appealing Why not keep things healthy and warming with a nice Mediterranean salad.
Neff’s Warm Mediterranean Vegetable Salad with Halloumi & Basil
2 medium courgettes, cut into chunks
1 red onion cut into wedges
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp ground cumin
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into strips
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced into strips
200g green beans, trimmed
200g Halloumi cheese, sliced
1 bunch mixed leaves, washed and dried
Salt and pepper
Handful of basil leaves, torn.
For the dressing
1 small bunch basil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 200°C CircoTherm.
- Place the courgettes and onions on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the peppers on a separate baking sheet. Drizzle over another tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place both baking trays in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes or until the vegetable are soft and starting to caramelise. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add a pinch of salt and drop in the beans. Cook for a couple of minutes or till tender. Drain and place in cold water until cooled.
- While the vegetables are cooking prepare the Halloumi. Heat a griddle pan over a medium high heat. Cook the Halloumi in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm.
- To make the dressing. Place all the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Arrange the mixed leaves on a large salad plate. Scatter over the roast vegetables. Then arrange the Halloumi on top. Drizzle over the dressing and finally top with the torn basil. Serve immediately.