Classic Sponge Cake with Jam and CreamServes 8
INGREDIENTS2⁄3 cup (100g) wheaten cornflour1⁄3 cup (50g) self-raising flour1 teaspoon cream of tartar4 eggsCup (165g) caster sugar300ml creamCup strawberry jam, lightly warmed6–8 fresh strawberries, thinly slicedIcing sugar, to serve
METHOD1. Preheat oven to 180°C no fan (160°C with fan). Grease and line bases of 2 x 22cm cake pans with baking paper.
2. Sift flours and cream of tartar onto a sheet of baking paper two times and set aside.
3. Assemble the Scraper Mixer Pro using the whisk attachment. Add eggs and sugar into mixer bowl. Slowly turn mixer to Aerate/Whip setting and whisk for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is very thick.
4. Remove bowl from mixer and sift flour over the egg mixture a third time. Using the mixer’s whisk, carefully stir flour through egg mixture until just combined.
5. Divide mixture evenly among cake pans; bake in oven about 17–18 minutes or until sponge springs back when gently touched in the centre.
6. Allow cakes to cool in pans for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Once cool, assemble mixer using the whisk attachment. Add cream to mixer bowl. Slowly turn mixer to Cream/Beat setting for about 1 minute or until just thicked. Top one sponge with warmed jam, fresh strawberries and some of the whipped cream. Top with second sponge. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with remaining cream.
Recipe provided by Sage Appliances
In Short: For a more traditional slice of home cooking, try our recipe for this classic sponge cake with a jam and cream filling