It’s that time of the year when all of the festive ingredients are coming together – decorations, the tree, maybe a nice fire and friends and family. And the food of course is another hugely important part, and there’s nothing better than a classic Roast Turkey.
Neff’s Recipe for Roast Turkey
1 x 5-5.5kg bronze turkey with giblets
1 bulb of garlic cut in half
1 lemon cut in half
Sprig of thyme, sage and parsley
2 tbsp olive oil
40g butter, soft
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
2 carrots peeled & sliced length ways
2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
2 onions peeled and sliced.
Preheat the oven to 180°C CircoTherm. Medium Added Steam.
1. Remove the bird from the fridge, 2 hours before cooking. Ask your butcher for the weight of the turkey and make a note when buying it.
2. Season the cavity with salt and pepper and fill with the garlic, lemon and herbs. Season the breast of the bird with salt and pepper, then rub over the butter and drizzle with the olive oil.
3. Place the carrots, celery and onions in the universal pan. Place the turkey on top Roast for the required time, See below. If the turkey is getting too brown, cover with foil.
4. To check if the Turkey is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the leg, between the breast and the base of the thigh, the juices should run clear.
5. Remove the turkey from the oven once cooked, and transfer to a warm serving platter. Cover with foil loosely, shiny side down and lay a couple of clean tea towels on top.