Whether you’re cooking for the family or a whole table full of friends, you can’t go wrong with baked ham, and why not add a little extra something into the mix with the zing of mustard and the taste of cider!
Neff’s Recipe for Baked Whole Ham with Mustard & Cider Glaze
Whole ham on the bone
300ml dry cider
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, roughly chopped
Handful of cloves
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp Demerara sugar
1 tbsp honey
Preheat the oven to 150°C CircoTherm. High Added Steam.
1. Ask your butcher to weigh the ham and take note as most domestic scales won’t be able to take the weight of the ham. Soak the ham in plenty of cold water for several hours or overnight.
2. To work out the total cooking time, allow 40 minutes to the kilo plus 20 minutes. Line the universal pan with a sheet of baking parchment.
3. Put the prepared vegetables into the bottom of the pan. Then drain the ham and place on the bed of vegetables. Pour over the cider. Cover the ham with foil and place in the oven. Set the timer to go off one hour before the total cooking time is up. For example, if the total cooking time is 4 hours, remove the ham from the oven after 3 hours.
4. Turn the heat up to 170⁰C.
5. Skin the ham leaving a thin layer of fat behind. Using a sharp knife lightly score the fat. Mix together the mustard, sugar and honey. Spread over the ham and stud with the cloves.
6. Place the ham back in the oven and cook for the remaining hour. Allow to relax for at least 30 minutes before carving.