2⁄3 cup (160ml) milk
Cup (80g) poppy seeds
250g butter, softened
1 cup (330g) caster sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1 tablespoon finely grated lime rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
2 teaspoons orange rind
Cup (125ml) orange juice
Cup (125ml) lemon juice
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line base and sides of a 23cm round cake pan with baking paper.
2. Combine milk and poppy seeds in a small bowl and soak for 10 minutes.
3. Assemble the Scraper Mixer Pro using scraper beater. Add butter and sugar to mixer bowl. Slowly turn mixer to Cream/Beat setting and beat for 1–2 minutes or until pale and creamy.NOTE: As this is a large quantity of butter and sugar some may beat over the scraper. Mixture may need to be pushed down once.
4. Add rind and vanilla and beat till combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
5. Reduce mixer to Knead/Fold setting and add half the poppy seed mixture. Beat in half the flour mixture, then repeat with remaining poppy seed and flour mixtures; mix until just combined.
6. Spread mixture into prepared pan and cook in oven for about 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
7. Meanwhile combine the rind, juices and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved; bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes.
8. Turn cake out on to a cooling tray with a baking tray underneath. Using a wooden skewer, poke several holes into the cake then pour the hot syrup over the hot cake.
Recipe provided by Sage Appliances
In Short: Poppy seeds may seem like an unusual ingredient for such a sweet cake, but once you’ve tried it you’ll be a convert for life